Subscriptions which are billed within Braintree's environment must be associated with a plan. A plan is an entity that contains information about the subscription such as the billing schedule. The plugin has advanced features that allow you to customize subscriptions but a plan is still needed to serve as a shell for the subscription creation.
To create a plan within Braintree there are several steps that must be performed.
- Login to your Braintree Control Panel and navigate to the Plans page.
- Click the button.
- Enter an ID, name, and description for your plan. The price entered is trivial because the price attribute can be overridden in the plugin's product edit page and that value always takes precedence.
- Select the currency for the plan. If you use a currency switcher, you should create an identical plan for each currency.
- Leave the trial period unchecked. Trial periods can be assigned in the product edit page of WooCommerce.
- Enter the billing frequency of the plan. This is very important as it controls the schedule that a subscription product is billed.
- Leave the First Bill Date and Number of Billing Cycles options as they are. These settings can be set within the WooCommerce product edit page.
- Click to save the subscription.